by Christopher Cai
We don’t hire smart people to tell them what to do. We hire smart people so they can tell us what to do. — Steve JobsThe Supercharge Lab Team is happy to share the expertise of our product engineering guru, Chris Cai. Introducing a new series of articles by our VP of Product at https://botopher.medium.com/ Interest piqued? Connect with us to learn more! [email protected] —- Google, Amazon, and Netflix are among the many organisations that use OKRs (Objectives & Key Results) to set and measure goals for their teams and individuals. If you have a small or mid-sized team they can help align everyone with the Company’s goals and empower your team to execute successfully. In this article, I am giving some practical guidance on how I use ClickUp to set and track first goals for clients so that we can align the Product direction and priorities. Let’s go! So, what are the main steps to follow? 1. Set Your Goals This can be done pretty quickly on a whiteboard and should allow you to break down the Big Goal (12-month objective) into smaller Objectives for your team to work towards. 2. Capture Objectives & Key Results (KRs)
- Add Objectives that are relevant to the current Quarter and their corresponding Key Results for tracking.
- Assign these Objectives and KRs to specific Delivery Managers (DMs) in your team who are responsible for coming up with and executing initiatives to deliver these KRs.
- Update your KRs on a regular basis. This can be every Month or Week, depending on how quickly progress can be tracked.
- Are you consistently hitting 70% of your KR targets?
- Are you able to successfully tie 80% of your initiatives to planned OKRs?
- Have you seen better alignment and shared vocabulary/understanding among different roles in the team?
- Start putting down your OKRs in your tool of choice (I highly recommend ClickUp).
- Set a regular day every week/month to update and review your progress towards the individual OKRs.